If you are a veteran or you know someone who is, here is a breakdown of the VA Home Loan benefits that can be used to achieve the American Dream!
Top 5 Benefits of a VA Home Loan
- The greatest benefit of a VA Loan is that borrowers can buy a home with a 0% down payment. In 2016, 82% of all VA Loans put down 0%!
- Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI) is not required! (Most other loans with down payments under 20% require PMI, which adds additional costs to your monthly housing expense!)
- Credit Score requirements are also lower for VA Home Loans. The average FICO® score of a borrower for an approved VA Loan is 620, compared to 676 (FHA) or 753 (Conventional).
- There is also a limitation on a veteran buyer’s closing costs. Sellers can pay all of a buyer’s loan-related closing costs and up to 4% in concessions in some cases.
- Even with interest rates rising, VA Loans continue to have the lowest average interest rates of all loan types.
Who Qualifies for a VA Home Loan?One of the most important first steps when applying for a VA Home Loan is obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). “The COE verifies to the lender that you are eligible for a VA-backed loan.”
You Can Apply for a VA Loan if You:
- Serve 90 consecutive days during wartime
- Serve 181 consecutive days during peacetime
- Have more than 6 years in the National Guard or Reserves
- Are the spouse of a service member who has died in the line of duty or as the result of a service-related disability
You Can Use a VA Loan To:
- Purchase a Home
- Purchase a Condo
- Build a Home
- Refinance an existing home loan
- Make improvements to a home by installing energy-related features or making energy-efficient improvements